SERVICES SETA: WHO IS SETA?
Sector Education and Training Authority is a vocational skills training organisation in South Africa. This qualification is awarded to people who have demonstrated the relevant skills and knowledge required to perform a range of beauty services at a basic level within the salon environment. It will lead to entrepreneurial opportunities for learners already operating or joining this profession and enhance the self-image of each individual learner as he/she becomes more professional. Holders of this qualification are capable to conduct the prescribed beauty service in a professional manner and maintain service excellence in all their operations.
What is the meaning of Accreditation?
SAQA defines accreditation as:
“The certification usually for a particular period of time, of a person, a body or an institution as having the capacity to fill `a particular function in the quality assurance system set up by the South African Qualifications Authority.”
Accreditation is awarded to providers who offer outcomes-based learning programmes aligned to the NQF registered unit standards and qualifications. It is given to a provider, usually for a period of three years.
Accreditation can be read as an audit process of the provider’s quality system and the learning programme which will be offered. It ensures that learning and assessments result in nationally recognised credits, and ultimately in the achievement of a formal qualification.
SMT TRAINING OFFERS THE LEARNING PROGRAMMES THAT IS ACCREDITED WITH SERVICES SETA (SSETA)
- Learnership: A learnership is a structured learning programme which includes theoretical and practical workplace experiential learning over a period of at least 12 months and which leads to an occupationally related qualification registered on the NQF. Learnerships are allocated a monthly stipend for the duration of the programme.
- Qualification Certificate: A qualification certificate is a structured learning programme which includes theoretical and practical workplace experiential learning over a period of at least 12 months and which leads to an occupationally related qualification registered on the NQF.
- Skills Programme: The Learning intervention has been designed to be an occupationally based, short term learning programme. When successfully completed by the learner, it constitutes credits towards a qualification registered on the NQF. The skills programmes comprise of a cluster of unit standards derived from the same qualification. (Maximum of 12 months).
- Trade Test: This is a final external practical and summative assessment undertaken by candidates who meet the requirements included in an occupational qualification for a listed trade that is administered by an accredited trade test centre. The trade certificate is issued by the QCTO.
- The Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is a process through which formal, non-formal and informal learning are measured, mediated for recognition across different contexts and certified against the requirements for credit, access, inclusion or advancement in the formal education and training system or workplace. The aim is to make it possible to obtain formal recognition for knowledge gained throughout life, such as in workplaces and own reading or experiences. The RPL process also entails providing support to a candidate to ensure that knowledge is discovered and displayed in terms of a relevant qualification registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF). Beauty Therapist who can do the services required in the beauty sector and has no formal qualifications or does not hold a valid beauty certificate, can join into our RPL Programmes. Speak to one of our consultants for further information.
What is CPD?
Continuing professional development (CPD) is the intentional maintenance and development of the knowledge and skills needed to perform in a professional context. This could mean honing current skills, it could mean developing them to a new level, or it could mean learning new ones that will allow an employee’s job role to expand or prepare them for potential promotion.
CPD requirements are present in most professions. Most companies and organizations now prioritize them because they ensure a constantly developing workforce.
This means there are millions of professionals across the UK who are required to undertake Continuing professional development training every year.
Structured CPD gives employees a clear path to success within their current role and progression to future ones. Employees in regulated industries (e.g. healthcare, accountancy, legal work) can lose their license to operate if they don’t maintain their CPD.
CPD activities can range from formal educational activities such as instructor-led courses, workshops, or seminars, to more informal approaches such as work-based learning or mentoring. CPD can also include self-directed study such as e-learning courses and structured reading.
CPD can be provided by specialist companies (e.g. commercial training providers, independent coaches), or provided internally, in particular by larger organizations.
ABOUT QCTO SKILLS DEVELOPMENT
The Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO) is a Quality Council established in 2010 in terms of the Skills Development Act Nr. 97 of 1998. Its role is to oversee the design, implementation, assessment, and certification of occupational qualifications, including trades, on the Occupational Qualifications Sub-Framework (OQSF).
The QCTO also offers guidance to skills development providers who must be accredited by the QCTO to offer occupational qualifications.
In summary, the QCTO is responsible for:
1.1.1. Establishment and management of the Occupational Qualification Sub-framework (OQSF);
1.1.2. Occupational Qualifications development and maintenance;
1.1.3. Accreditation of Skills Development Providers;
1.1.4. Accreditation of Assessment Centres;
1.1.7. Research and Knowledge Development; and
1.1.8. Stakeholder Management and Advocacy.
Growing a presence for quality education and training provision within government, regulatory, and professional bodies.
Being the voice that promotes the inclusion of a private provision in all activities that contribute to excellence in skills development for people Connecting providers to the industry and international partners that are passionate about quality education and training at all levels
Representing employers of education, training, and development professionals at industry bodies that focus on training for employability and the creation of job opportunities
Capacitating new and existing providers to engage constructively in improving mechanisms of delivery for quality in education, training, and development
ITEC / VTCT – UK QUALIFICATION
WHO IS ITEC?
ITEC is a world-class qualification with triple recognition of National European & International standards. ITEC has been awarding high quality and respected industry qualifications since 1947. It is now one of the world’s leading and most successful awarding bodies and provides leading international qualifications, specializing in Beauty & Spa Therapy, Hairdressing, Complementary Therapies, Sports & Fitness Training and Customer Service with centres in 39 countries.
Take your career to International heights with the ITEC Nail Technology Diploma/ Beauty Specialist Diploma / Massage Diploma. One of the gold standards in the above Diplomas is delivered at SMT Training. These qualifications offer the prospective student an opportunity to gain theoretical, practical, and integrated college and industry work experience thereby ensuring readiness for employment. The qualification offers a structured work-place placement component.
WHO IS VTCT?
VTCT is a government-approved awarding organization offering National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs), Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs), and other vocationally related qualifications (VRQs) at over 800 colleges and training providers both in the UK and internationally. VTCT has been in existence for over 50 years and has been at the forefront of developing the vocational system of qualifications in the United Kingdom. VTCT appeals to a broad target market and offers qualifications in the following sectors: Beauty, Nail & Spa Therapy, Hairdressing & Barbering, Complementary Therapies, Hospitality, Sport, Active Health & Fitness, Customer Service. Apprenticeships.
331 West Towers, 7th floor,
West Street, Durban, 4001
37 Zenith Drive, The Cube,
Qwaqwa, Free State
Accredited Training Institution for Hairdressing, Beauty Technology, Nail Technology, Advanced makeup, Aesthetics
© 2022 SMT Training Centre Ltd. All rights reserved